Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Confession: I hate to knit

At least 15 years ago, I taught myself to crochet. I enjoy crocheting. The stitches make sense and are easy. Patterns, while often initially confusing, soon can be repeated with ease. Crocheting is fun and fast and easy, but it's also kind of ugly. The stitches are big and bulky and don't lay slick and neat like knitting does. So I decided to teach myself how to knit. I decided this over a year ago. I've practiced many stitches (I've probably made the equivalent of dozens of coasters), but I have been unable to produce anything. It takes forever. Forever. It doesn't come easily to me. I want it to. What I want to make the most is socks. The socks in the store say "size 4 - 11." They lie. Maybe the cotton athletic socks, after washed in hot water a few dozen times, would comfortably fit my size 5 1/2 foot. Fashionable socks never fit me. And I hate bunchy socks. So...I want to knit my own cute, comfortable socks. I know socks aren't a beginning knitting project, but I don't mind a challenge. I do mind that it took me over an hour to get 4 tiny knit/purl rows on my double pointed needle. It took that long and I only used about 2 feet of the beautiful brown/grey wool sock yarn I purchased. In that same amount of time I could have crocheted an entire market bag using 2 skeins of yarn, or 3 hats, or at least half a scarf. But, as I said, I like a challenge, so I'll keep at knitting...at least for now.
A small sampling of the yarn I've purchased from a local wool manufacturer (and a few of my sample stitches).

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter